(posted by chris the cynic, written by members of The Slacktiverse)
Storiteller covered very different topics this week on her blog. After visiting her grandmother on the way back from visiting her family for Christmas, she reflected on all of the things she wished she could tell her while her grandmother could still understand. In response, she wrote A Love Letter to my Grandmother, Who Suffers from Severe Dementia. On a completely different note, her family went to the National Geographic Museum last weekend, where they saw an exhibit on the largest predatory dinosaur, described in Spinosaurus, Pterosaurs, and Crocodiles, Oh My!.
- chris the cynic wrote:
- So, uh, new things have come to pass since the posts I wrote, and thus they aren’t really up to date, at all. Things seem to have improved a lot since they were written, but the biggest concern remains as yet unresolved and thus … yeah. But that’s the second and third posts, so we’ll get to that.
- I try to make Stealing Commas easy to navigate; I generally fail. One big project I was working on until attention got turned away from the blog by the real world was completely overhauling my index post system that’s intended to help you navigate via story or theme. One thing that won’t really be overhauled is the way I do chronological indexing, it just needs to be brought up to date since it’s nearly two years out of date. Thus:
- I understand the sense of helplessness that can set in when you see someone facing a huge problem, and my financial problems tend to be huge, so I made a post pointing out that small donations help too. In fact I really appreciate it when someone sends ten bucks my way. Even a handful of coins of indeterminate value is appreciated, but you usually have to meet me in person to pull that off.
- Stealing Commas is probably going dark for [an unknown period of time]. The reason is because I need to spend time concentrating on my financial future. Since I wrote that, the immediate looming threat of bills that have to be paid next month has been dealt with. The other threat (that I’ll be kicked off of public aid) is still in limbo. If I am, I’m going to need to almost immediately do something I’ve consistently failed to do even though I’ve been trying for a decade or so: support myself in spite of my utter inability to reliably do what most people consider work.
- Articles, open threads, and such on the Slacktiverse itself:
- Regularly scheduled threads on the Slacktiverse:
In Case You Missed This
Alex Conall writes:
Things You Can Do
See above (In Case You Missed This) if you’re queer or trans*, otherwise no submissions this week.