(posted by chris the cynic, who reminds you all that if I completely forget a week it’s ok to call me on it; written by members of The Slacktiverse)
- chris the cynic wrote:
- I wrote a response to the terrorist attack that killed nine people. Well, more a response to how our culture doesn’t take terrorist attacks seriously when white people are committing them and non-white people are the victims. As you might expect, it’s not exactly uplifting.
- I had written about a setting idea where divine entities mingle with mundane humans in Generic Small Town America(TM). Then I realized that I left out an important character in spite of her being a part of the idea for ages, thus I wrote The Divine Feminine to explain how she presents to the world and the sort of things she tends to be up to. Bit of a fiction fragment in there.
- I’m on my way is the latest installment of Being more than a Simulacrum. In it Place gets to know the person giving her a ride to her uncle and cousin’s place in Montana.
- I wrote how I would do the first Star Wars movie (the one retroactively titled “A New Hope”.) In theory I’ll cover at least the original trilogy, maybe all six of the currently existing ones. In practice I have a habit of not finishing such projects
- I wanted to do how I would do the game Splatoon, but first I had to talk about the game as it exists. Then I wrote how I would do it. It’s kind of rough and badly organized, if I have time I might redo the post.
- Following the game allowed me to see an interesting perspective (that of squid people from the future) on the Supreme Court decision to give people equal marriage rights. So I wrote about that. The next day there was a lot more data to sift and the biggest dissent from celebrating (squid are largely in favor of equality) were those who wanted us to please think of the children.
- In my life in general things have happened. I wrote more about my finances. I wrote about the ordeal that was getting to the dentist on a bike I hadn’t used in at least a decade. I wrote about a group of people, the classics students and teachers from USM, who are basically family to me. I wrote about the fact that I may need a new washing machine (though I have hopes that most of my troubles are tied up in a single component.)
- Articles, open threads, and such on the Slacktiverse itself:
- Regularly scheduled threads on the Slacktiverse:
In Case You Missed This
No submissions this week.
Things You Can Do
No submission this week.
Lonespark forwarded this to us:
Lightspeed Magazine is looking to commission five original artworks by LGBTQ-identified scifi/fantasy artists for our Queers Destroy Fantasy issue.
We are looking to commission someone to do an original piece for the cover (for which we could pay $200). We’re also looking to commission four smaller illustrations (one to go with each of the web-published stories), for which we would pay $100 each. The deadline for the finalized artworks would be September 1.
For more information, please send an email with either a link to a website with your work or sample images to Henry Lien, Art Director, Lightspeed Magazine, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please feel free to share this post.