(posted by chris the cynic; written by members of The Slacktiverse)
- Storiteller has been quite delinquent on submitting items to the Blogaround, but figured she’d do a bit of catch up. Here are some posts from the last few months that she thought would be of the most interest to the Slacktiverse community:
- Songs to Grow Up With: Music for Little Radicals: Children’s music can be highly annoying, but these songs have a lot more going on than the tunes of the Fresh Beat Band or Barney.
- Dance Like Everyone is Watching (content note: transphobia): A charismatic and stereotype-breaking woman at a local concert made me rethink my own assumptions and comfort levels.
- Missing the Home in Hometown: I found visiting my hometown both to be inspiring and disappointing, with huge amounts of commitment to community being underutilized.
- Raising a Peacemaker (content notes: racism, Charleston shooting): In the light of the Charleston shooting and #BlackLivesMatter movement, my thoughts on how I will try to raise my son to advocate for justice by leveraging his race and class privilege.
- Children’s Book Week: Bizarre Children’s Literature: Part of a series of posts on children’s literature, a lot of people seemed to enjoy this article describing a number of my toddler’s weirdest books.
- Baltimore, White Privilege and Who I’m Really Worried For (content note: racism): With relatives asking if “we were okay” during the Baltimore uprising despite being nowhere near it, I contemplate how and when I realized my own white privilege.
- An Open Letter to Kids Who are Bullied: How to Fight Back (content note: bullying): Steps and tips from my own learned personal experience that I would recommend to kids today who are suffering under emotional abuse from classmates.
- Book Club: The Little Engine that Could, A Feminist Reading: A deconstructionist reading of the classic of children’s literature that’s both a bit tongue-in-cheek and completely sincere. You can even argue it passes the Bechdel test!
- chris the cynic wrote:
- In original fiction I wrote The Crossing: Waiting for the bus, in which a resident of a purgatoryish town sees off a visitor who helped him out.
- In derivative fiction I wrote a new installment of Being more than a Simulacrum. In it Place and her cousin head off to the Yamanouchi school where Place seeks answers about the magical aspects of her creation, Joss looks around to help decide if she’ll attend, and Yori is left with the task of making the school make sense in spite of glaring errors on the part of the Kim Possible creators.
- In my life in general, on the bad side I have the posts The state of things, And additional fuck, and On washing and drying. On the up side I have socks!
- If you or someone you know (child, game enthusiast, collector, whatever) likes any of the Skylanders games and wants new and of the pre-Trap Team Skylanders (which work with the newer games) read this post, send me an email, I might be able to help.
- Articles, open threads, and such on the Slacktiverse itself:
- Regularly scheduled threads on the Slacktiverse:
In Case You Missed This
No submissions this week.
Things You Can Do
No submissions this week.
–Co-authored by the Slacktiverse Community