(posted by chris the cynic, sorry about missing last week; written by members of The Slacktiverse)
- chris the cynic wrote:
- On the fiction front I had two actual fragments: Nicolae’s speech to the American news media after he’s done in the UN, and messages upon coming out of your cloning tank inspired by tutorial levels.
- I had one non-narrative work from an in universe perspective. It introduced the characters of Luke and Ella, as well as why they are controversial topics in Hell and Heaven respectively, in my Four Realms setting.
- And I described an idea I had about the weekly meeting a group of super people have where they hang out, play RPGs, and generally get to feel normal without hiding what they are.
- On the nonfiction front I talked about how, while radical activism seeks to change the system, for part of one day of the year radical activists are still faced with the same choice as all the other eligible voters, and these two things are not in conflict. (In some states odd yeared elections are so insignificant that it’s only one day every two years.) I wrote about how from a financial, rather than EVIL! (all caps and exclaimation point compulsory) perspective overdraft fees make no sense. And I had random jottings about the people who can take kids away from their families.
- The two weeks had four Trump things:
- The theme was words that look like they’re coined after people but aren’t, and the definition of Trumpery (first attested 1481) is absolutely perfect.
- I wrote out the Bene Gesserit Litany Against Trump.
- Vergil overused superlatives to the point of getting mocked for it, but ever wonder what the opening of the Aenead would be like if he did it on a Trumpesque level?
- And I had my Trump-speak impression when the topic of whether or not he could accept being associated with losing came up.
- In my offline life:
- I made a correction to stuff I’d indicated before about the situation with my sister’s family. The police lied more, and to more people, than I realized, which meant that the neighbors were being slightly less horrible than I realized.
- I ruined my best remaining glasses and took it badly.
- Almost five years ago I put ads on Stealing Commas, the ad revenue finally reached a point where I got paid.
- Articles, open threads, and such on the Slacktiverse itself:
- Regularly scheduled threads on the Slacktiverse:
In Case You Missed This
Laughing Collie pointed us to the news that DNA analysis of Pacific Islanders suggest an unknown ancestor human subspieces. It was already known that anatomically modern humans interbred with Neanderthals and Denisovians and DNA from those two speices survives in the population of actual modern humans. This research, if confirmed, would point to a third such speices.
WanderingUndine shared “positive and relatively non-political eco-news of the week”:
- A vast new marine sanctuary in Antarctica was designated
- NYT profiled the extraordinary return of fish to the Penobscot River in Maine, following the removal of two massive dams in 2012 and 2013.
Things You Can Do
No submissions this week.